Free Academic Licenses
Whether you are teaching optimization, learning how to build models, or conducting research, we want you to be successful. As a result, we offer several options designed to give you access to full-featured versions of Gurobi at no cost. This page covers the different options we offer, as well as the eligibility requirements for each.
Gurobi academic licenses fall into three general categories:
- Multi-user academic site license: This license is a full-featured university version of Gurobi that can be installed on a university's local-area network. It has no limits on model size and is for use by students, faculty, and staff at recognized degree-granting academic institutions.
- Named-user academic license: This license is a full-featured university version of Gurobi that can be installed on a single physical machine. It has no limits on model size, is for use by students, faculty, and staff at recognized degree-granting academic institutions, and those users may install and license Gurobi for their own use on more than one machine. It must be activated while connected through their university network.
- Named-user online course license: This is a full-featured online course version of Gurobi with a model size limit of 2000 decision variables and 2000 constraints. This version is designed for use by students taking online courses such as those offered through Coursera. It can be activated outside of a university network, such as your home or work.
For the named-user online course license, please visit our Coursera registration page to register and download the correct version, or read on for more information about our two academic versions.
Requirements for the University Academic Licenses
The free university Academic Licenses for Gurobi have all the features and performance of the full Gurobi Optimizer, with no limits on model size. The only restrictions on the use of these licenses are: (i) they can only be used by faculty, students, or staff of a degree-granting academic institution, (ii) they can only be used for research or educational purposes, and (iii) they must be validated from a recognized academic domain, as described below. They expire twelve (12) months after the date on which your license was generated, but eligible faculty, students, or staff can renew a license by repeating this process.
Obtaining a Free Academic License
Both our multi-user and named-user university licenses can be had for free. You can learn more about each of these license types by reading our academic licenses .pdf.
To obtain a free multi-user academic site license (Unlimited-Simultaneous-Use, Floating-Use academic license) for Gurobi, please follow these steps:
- Ask your network administrator to email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for an academic site license request form.
- Once the form has been submitted and approved, we will send instructions to your administrator on how to obtain and install the license.
To obtain a free named-user academic license (Named-User, Unlimited-Use, Single-Machine academic license) for Gurobi, please follow these steps:
- Login to your Gurobi Account. If you do not already have an account, then first Register for an Account.
- On the Download > Gurobi Optimizer page, select the version you want to download and click the 'Download' button. You should also download README.txt.
- On the Download > Licenses page, click on the 'Free Academic' menu option. Accept the End User License Agreement and the conditions for use of an academic license, then click on 'Request License'. This will create a new license.
- Follow the instructions in README.txt to install the software.
- Once the software has been installed, run 'grbgetkey' using the argument provided when you created your license (ex: grbgetkey ae36ac20-16e6-acd2-f242-4da6e765fa0a). The 'grbgetkey' program will retrieve your license key and prompt you to store it on your machine. It will also validate your academic license eligibility by confirming that you are connected to the Internet from a recognized academic domain (e.g., any '.edu' address). If you have trouble validating your academic license, please refer to our Academic Validation Troubleshooting instructions.
Note: There is no limit on the number of free Academic licenses that you can obtain. However, each such license must be generated individually.
Using a Free Academic License with Modeling Systems
You may use a free Academic License for Gurobi with an existing license for AIMMS, AMPL, GAMS or MPL. To do this, first follow the instructions above to install Gurobi Optimizer and obtain a free academic license. Next, you will need to configure Gurobi as a solver for your modeling system. This may require you to install additional tools. For AMPL, detailed instructions can be found in the AMPL-Gurobi Guide. For GAMS, please see the instructions for OsiGurobi and the professional Gurobi link on the GAMS website. For AIMMS and MPL, the academic version already comes with the Gurobi solver installed, so no additional configuration steps are needed.
To purchase an academic license for AMPL, please see our price list, which can be found through your Gurobi Account. To purchase an academic license for GAMS, please contact GAMS directly. Free academic licenses for AIMMS and MPL are available; see the AIMMS Academic License and the MPL Academic Program for details.
Take Gurobi With You Program for New Graduates
Our goal is to help graduating students continue to use Gurobi as they move from their academic studies to a commercial environment. To help with this transition, we are happy to provide a commercial named-user license with an expiration date one year from the date of issue. This license is provided at no cost to either the graduating student or their new employer, and may be used within the company exactly as if it had been purchased at full price.
Signing up is easy. Simply download the program request form which has the full details.
Gurobi academic licenses do not include technical support. To allow our users to discuss the product and to ask questions, we have set up a Gurobi discussion group. You can read current and past messages online, or subscribe to receive messages via email:
We encourage users to answer each others' questions; Gurobi staff members will monitor the group and answer questions as time permits.
Other Academic Licenses
In addition to the free academic licenses for Gurobi, we also offer a multi-user site license that has no periodic validation requirement. For details, please see our Price List.