Business Development Director – US
About Gurobi Optimization
Gurobi Optimization produces the most advanced commercial solver software in the world. Gurobi Optimizer is the engine used by over 2,400 companies in over two dozen industries to turn data into smarter decisions. It allows users to state their toughest business problems as mathematical models and then automatically considers billions or even trillions of possible solutions to find the best one. One of our clients, the National Football League, uses our software each spring to solve one of the most complex scheduling problems in the world. Engineering the optimal NFL schedule that accounts for television rights, rivalries, stadiums, time of day, travel, etc. is a problem with 800 trillion possibilities. Our software finds the optimal solution quickly and with numerical robustness, helping the NFL to maximize the league’s revenue each year. Another customer, SAP, imbeds our optimizer in their Integrated Business Planning (IBP) software allowing hundreds of their clients to quickly and efficiently optimize their supply chains. Gurobi Optimization is a small, privately held company founded by three experts in mathematical programming in 2008. Our year-over-year growth has been between 20% and 40% and the company has been profitable since day one. Our entire workforce is distributed across 6 countries and everyone works remotely. The expansion of the sales organization is being executed to accelerate the growth of the business and expand into new markets. This position reports to the Vice President of Strategic Accounts based in Boston.
This role focuses on large enterprise customers that are using one of our major competitors – either IBM or FICO. This ‘hunter’ role identifies the appropriate target prospects, gains entry, identifies stakeholders on the critical path and switches the business to Gurobi. This sales cycle will vary between 6 and 18 months depending on how embedded the competitive software is. The BDD position works aggressively to evangelize Gurobi’s superiority within large and sophisticated clients across the United States and Canada.
- Deliver revenue target
- Present, promote and sell software to new customers
- Establish, develop and maintain positive business and customer relationships
- Develop leads through networking, warm and cold outreach and trade shows
- Achieve agreed upon sales targets and outcomes within schedule
- Coordinate sales effort within the sales organization as well as with various cross functional team members
- Maintain CRM with up-to-date information and provide management with well-informed forecasts
- Supply management with reports on customer needs, problems, interests, competitive activities, and potential for new products and services
- Keep abreast of best practices, competitive threats and developments in the optimization space
- Continuously improve through both company and independent ongoing development and training
- Must be highly driven with a proven track record of business development success
- Able to sell consultatively with confidence and vigor
- Powerful and effective oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to quickly and effectively build rapport with others
- Strong critical thinking skills — can reduce complex situations to a simpler form to solve
- Strong negotiation skills backed by formal training
- A methodical and precise approach to the job with a focus on the use of CRM and analytics to run the business
- A desire to hunt new business
- Able to find an entry point into a firm and then capable of expanding wiring across the necessary stakeholders to get a deal done
- Highly competitive with a desire for achievement
- Self-motivated and effective working from a home environment
- 10+ years selling analytics software to Fortune 500 companies
- Travel 20% or less
- BA/BS degree or equivalent is required
We are a highly distributed company, with employees all over the world. We regret that relocation assistance is not available.
To apply for this position, please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and refer to the position of Business Development Director – USA.