Get the License That’s Right for You
We make it easy for students, faculty, and researchers to work with mathematical optimization. Whether for use in class or research, academics can use Gurobi Optimizer at no cost. Get all the same Gurobi features and performance, with no limits on model size.
Request the academic license that’s right for you. Need help choosing? Let Dr. Kostja Siefen walk you through the options.
Academic Named-User License
Our Most Popular Academic License: Start your journey here. Get a free, unlimited-use Gurobi Optimizer license for a single person, on a single machine.
Academic WLS License
Run Gurobi in virtually all deployment scenarios, including containerized environments, virtual machines, and bare-metal machines, across Linux, macOS, and Windows.
Academic Site License
University Administrators: You can share Gurobi with multiple users in your academic departments, schools, and classrooms by running Gurobi on your university’s local-area network, at no cost to you or your institution.
Academic Gurobi Cloud License
Get on-demand access to Gurobi on cloud machines. Although the license is free, you’ll be responsible for the cost of cloud resource usage.
AMPL, GAMS, and MPL Programs
Are you an AMPL, GAMS, or MPL user? Learn about our academic license programs.
Academic License Program Requirements
- Must be a faculty member, student, or staff of a recognized degree-granting academic institution.
- Can be used for research, educational purposes, or industry consulting projects (requires Gurobi approval).
- Must be validated from a recognized academic domain.
- Licenses can be renewed for as long as you remain eligible.
- There is no limit to the number of free licenses you can obtain, but each license must be generated individually.
Get Started with Gurobi and Optimization
Check out these free, open-education resources to help students and instructors learn and teach optimization at a range of levels.