Gurobi: Always Free for Academics
We make it easy for students, faculty, and researchers to work with mathematical optimization. Whether for use in class or research, academics can use Gurobi Optimizer at no cost. Get all the same Gurobi features and performance, with no limits on model size.
Request the academic license that’s right for you. Need help choosing? Let Dr. Kostja Siefen walk you through the options.
Academic Named-User License
Get a free, unlimited-use Gurobi Optimizer license for a single person, on a single machine.
Academic WLS License
Run Gurobi in virtually all deployment scenarios, including containerized environments, virtual machines, and bare-metal machines, across Linux, macOS, and Windows.
Academic Site License
University Administrators: You can share Gurobi with multiple users in your academic departments, schools, and classrooms by running Gurobi on your university’s local-area network, at no cost to you or your institution.
Academic Gurobi Cloud License
Get on-demand access to Gurobi on cloud machines. Although the license is free, you’ll be responsible for the cost of cloud resource usage.
AMPL, GAMS, and MPL Programs
Are you a AMPL, GAMS, or MPL user? Learn about our academic license programs.
Guidance & Educational Resources
Jump-start your problem-solving with our helpful guides and resources, designed specifically for academic audiences.
Academic License Program Requirements
- Must be a faculty member, student, or staff of a recognized degree-granting academic institution.
- Can be used for research, educational purposes, or industry consulting projects (requires Gurobi approval).
- Must be validated from a recognized academic domain.
- Licenses can be renewed for as long as you remain eligible.
- There is no limit to the number of free licenses you can obtain, but each license must be generated individually.