Data Science Strategist
Gurobi Optimization produces the most advanced and well-known commercial solver software in the world. Gurobi Optimizer is the engine used by over 2,400 clients in over 40 industries to turn data into smarter decisions. It allows our users to state their toughest business problems as mathematical models and then automatically considers billions or even trillions of possible solutions to find the best one. One of our clients, the NFL, maximizes league revenue by solving one of the world’s most complex scheduling problems – one with 800 trillion possible solutions. Other clients include, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Siemens, SAP to name a few. The size of the organization has tripled in 3 years.
Our team is made up of sharp minds who are singularly focused on building, marketing and supporting the most powerful optimization tool worldwide. We’re privately held and founded by three well-known experts in mathematical programming with an intriguing history. We love what data can do and so should you. Our cutting edge, proven artificial intelligence technology uses the most advanced implementations of the latest algorithms maintaining our position as an innovation leader. We are on an upward trajectory with steady and profitable growth between 20%-40% year over year proudly expanding our team across 10 different countries, all working remotely.
This role plays a pivotal and central role in the future growth of the company. Gurobi has dominated the operations research space for several years and is now pivoting its sales, marketing and product development efforts towards data science. Gurobi wants to teach data scientists the benefits of adding math optimization to their analytics toolkit and train them in the skills they need to work effectively with our software. This expert role is officially part of the marketing organization but contributes significantly to all aspects of the go-to-market process. The Data Science Strategist reports directly to the global head of marketing based in New York.
What you’ll be doing:
- Guides the marketing department on the positioning of Gurobi to data scientists.
- Helps formulate the strategy for continued growth in the data science market.
- Uses experience in the space to help build and refine our data science personas and identify the proper channels to market against.
- Educates the team on the ecosystem of data science tools available and where math optimization sits in the broader A.I. universe.
- Works with our Academic Program Manager and Technical Fellow to create content for our data scientist training modules posted to the website.
- Works with our technical teams to explore where the intersection of math optimization and machine learning lies.
- Finds opportunities to partner with other AI companies.
- Serves as the “Resident Data Science” evangelist, telling our story and educating data scientists through events, webinars and bespoke trainings.
- Collaborates with the Academic Program Manager on math optimization curriculum additions for data science programs.
- Develops internal tools and external collateral.
- Works to train and enable the sales organization on the language and tools of data science.
- Contributes actively to sales efforts as the ‘resident expert’.
Research & Development:
- Works closely with our team of PhD’s to advise on enhancements and feature sets needed to fully support the needs of data scientists.
- Guides our technical project team on POCs that marry math optimization with various machine learning techniques.
- Stays abreast of the latest tools available to data scientists – both open source and commercial.
- Provides guidance and feedback to the management team with regard to the overall data science market strategy.
What you should have:
- 5+ years working as a data scientist.
- A master’s degree or equivalent is required, preferably in Data Science or Computer Science and a PhD is a plus.
- An extensive understanding of data science with additional understanding of computer science and/or operations research a plus.
- A robust knowledge of the data science ecosystem and the 5-8 common problems data scientists are working to solve.
- An ability to work effectively across sales, marketing, R&D and management.
- Powerful and effective oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to quickly and effectively build rapport with others.
- Solid ability to communicate technical and complex ideas in a clear and concise manner.
- Be an engaging communicator with both customers and prospects.
- Self-motivated and effective working from a home environment.
- An ability to deliver against timelines and milestones effectively.
- An understanding of the algorithms inside of the ‘black box’.