How Vodafone Uses Optimization to Tackle the Telecom Industry’s Toughest Problems
In this webinar, you will learn how Vodafone uses the Gurobi Optimizer to address some of the most challenging optimization problems in the telecommunications industry.
For example, Vodafone must be able to determine:
- How to optimally design their fibre networks to maximize return on investment.
- How to configure their network of retail shops to optimally support sales under various constraints.
- How – in the wake of the COVID-19 lockdown – they can re-open as many shops as possible, serving as many customers as possible.
Vodafone uses mathematical optimization to tackle these and other complex, real-world business problems. By defining these large-scale problems as integer linear programs (ILPs) on graphs, users can solve these problems and, if necessary, add additional business constraints.
In this webinar, you will learn:
- How to formulate graph optimization problems as ILPs.
- How to create different formulations leading to exponential or linear-size constraint systems.
- How to use GraphILP-API which will help you translate graph problems into linear programs.
You can download the slides presented in this webinar here.
Rolf Bardeli, PhD, is currently the lead data scientist in the consumer business unit at Vodafone Germany. He received his MSc (2003) and PhD (2008) in Computer Science from the University of Bonn, Germany. Between trying to teach the computer to recognize bird species by sound during his PhD and trying to teach the computer to understand telco customers at Vodafone, he was a researcher in multimedia pattern recognition at the Fraunhofer Society. Rolf is a senior member of the IEEE and a low-frequency maths blogger at http://mathcination.wordpress.com.
Vodafone : #StayConnected
Vodafone is a leader in technology communications through mobile, fixed, broadband and TV. We are optimistic about how technology and connectivity can enhance the future and improve people’s lives. Through our business, we aim to build a digital society that enhances socio-economic progress, embraces everyone and does not come at the cost of our planet.